5.30.2011

Thinking About Chickens

I am looking at different breed of chickens for our backyard over the weekend. Every time I see something that is very different than others it makes me cringed. I notice one looking like a roadrunner (like the cartoon) and also one with a feather like a kindergarten student might draw. And what's up with the silkies ones? I don't think I will be able to eat them.

Anyway, here are the list of most winter hardy and docile ones I found. The Sussex, Chantecler (it reminds me of one story in my child LIT lesson), Dominique, New Hampshire-red, Orpington, Plymouth Rock, and Rhode Island. I am familiar with Dominique because my parents used to have some, and some brownish red ones. I'm not really sure which they are with the above lists.

We are planning about putting their coop behind the fruit trees, away from neighbor lookers. We are not really sure if we will be able to have a rooster, being early riser and noisy in all. Maybe we can borrow one from our friend and keep it for a few days to breed the hens. We need to figure it out when the time comes.

I can't wait for the fruit trees to grow bigger, because that's the time to put up the chicken fence, the chickens, and coop. I like the feeling that I don't need to buy eggs and chickens to consume anymore. Crossing my fingers! I should probably start planting grains for their feed, don't you think?

No comments: