6.10.2009

Bolting Lettuce

Lettuce plants mature and go to seed very quickly. The stalk you are seeing is the stem on which a flower and subsequently seeds will be produced. There is nothing you can do to stop the process. Cool weather may slow it down, but the plants will eventually produce a flower stalk and go to seed (called bolting), and it happens fastest in hot weather. Many gardeners make successive plantings of lettuce every other week or so. This will provide a continuous supply of young, vigorous lettuce to harvest from early spring through fall. There are varieties that are more bolt-resistant--look for this quality when reading descriptions in seed catalogs.

1 comment:

Doc Broks said...

hi Nedekcir,

I was wondering if you could help me identify some of the plants in my garden. I am a newbie gardener, so i don't know a lot. So i bank on experienced gardeners like you to help me.
All i ask is for you to name the plant for me. And i would give you 100 EC's for every plant. I hope you could it a visit, if it wouldn't mean much of your time.
Thank you very much.

-marvin
http://greenpollex.blogspot.com/2009/06/help-me-id-these-plants.html